These extractions include:
- Transaction Data: Daily sales summary, employee time punches, customer summary invoices, vender summary vouchers, etc.
- Setup Data: Chart of Accounts, employee setup files, pay codes, job codes, departments, customer and vender files, payment terms, etc.
The two most common ways to extract data are explained below:
1. Direct (Preferred method):
In most cases GetLinked can access POS and Time Clock data "directly" using an "application-programming interface (API)" meaning the software manufacturer has provided a utility for integrators to "Read/Write" with their database. GetLinked reads the required data in order to create a accuarate financial transaction (ex. balanced journal entries, accurate employee time punches, correct customer invoices, etc.). The more established or advanced systems have these direct methods of accessing their data and the majority of GetLinked interfaces use this process. This method allows your interface to be more flexible, accurate and maintenance free for you.
In order to review any system using this method we need the manufacturer to supply us with their API (ex. ODBC, web access to cloud based systems, SDK, etc.), a database (with transactions for this specific customer are preferred), reference guides and any additional software or instructions that will enhance the capabilities of interfacing to their system. Please document any unique features or functions (ex. file naming conventions, etc.).
We do need transaction reports (ex. balanced journal entries, completed payroll, etc.) from the customer in order to validate and confirm the data being extracted from the database matches what the customer needs.
2. File Export:
Most systems have a way to export their data using a file dump process. The most common file formats are in ASCII (ex. Comma, Tab, DBF, XML, etc.). Most POS systems have an end-of-day process which includes exporting the financial data (sales, payroll, payables, peceivables, etc.). These exported data files can then be transferred from each location to your corporate office via polling software, email or internet FTP sites, etc. GetLinked will map the file layout of your unique POS system the same way. Once mapped, you only need to load GetLinked Software at your corporate office and set the pathname to the these exported data files.
Although this method can create additional steps in automating transactions, many Enterprise Systems (ex. SAP, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards, etc.) still use ASCII exports because it provides an additional layer of security and validation prior to importing into their accounting system. Sometimes these interfaces can require additional interface fees. Newer importing methods are being developed everyday that allow initial imports of data to non-critical areas of the financial system prior to being imported permanently into actual transaction areas.
In order to review any system using this method we need the manufacturer or customer to supply us access to their current system. This usually is done through a remote logon session and control of the system in order to run either "reports" or "export functions" built into the system. We need any reference guides and any additional software or instructions that will enhance the capabilities of interfacing to their system. Please document any unique features or functions (ex. file naming conventions, etc.).
We do need transaction reports (ex. balanced journal entries, completed payroll, etc.) from the customer in order to validate and confirm the data being extracted from the database matches what the customer needs..
GetLinked Software's primary function is as a "FINANCIAL" interface (ex. General Ledger journal entries, Payroll processing, etc.) versus an "Operational" interface (ex. Detail customer invoices imported in a report writer or spreadsheet for analysis, Customer or Transaction Counts, Re-order points for inventory control, Inventory purchasing/invoicing with suppliers, etc.). GetLinked Software focuses on the integration from your point of sale and time-clock systems to your financial accounting/payroll systems and payroll service provider primarily for "financial" purposes (ex. Information that is typically reported on Financial Statements, Tax Reports). We may provide additional "NON-financial" information in our development if possible, however at our discretion and with additional up-charge if deemed necessary.
STEPS USED IN REVIEWING UNIQUE SYSTEMS:
- 1. We provide an initial quick review of many unique systems for free and let you know if we need to charge for additional research time if required. The most helpful action is for you to provide our developers with an active customer site using the software and provide us with logon information (ex. IP Address, Logon Name/ID, Passwords, etc.) so we can access how the program works and how easy it is to extract financial data from the system (ex. direct logon to location and their server, cloud based access with exporting or API capabilities, file dumps, etc.).
2. If additional research is needed, we do charge for reviewing any requests (ex. new systems, existing add-ons to existing interfaces, etc.) and will apply any "Consultation" costs toward your interface development. To start the review of your unique system you can purchase Consultation time (recommended one hour initially) at our online Store.
3. Once we have successfully completed our review of any system we will provide a quote for development directly to the party purchasing the interface. Any consultation costs will already be reflected in the quoted price of development and valid if purchased within time frame listed. On your quote will be a line labeled "Interface Fee" that is the fee for the development of the interface. This fee is a one-time fee in most cases, unless described otherwise. Development starts at the time when the order has been processed successfully and the funds have cleared our bank account. Most development is completed in 4-6 weeks from the date it is started.
What is Consultation time used for with GetLinked Software?
How can GetLinked™ Software help me with my unique system?