Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Moderator: gettech
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
stkeegan10
Post subject: Moving the Get Linked Application to a new computer/drive
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:46 am

Company Name: Shenaniganz

I need to move my get linked application to a new computer/drive, but don't want to match the definitions with my Quickbooks account again as it was making me when I redownloaded the program from my portal on the GetLinked website. When I copy the Get Linked files where they currently are and paste them in the different drive, upon opening it in that drive it gives me a POS Link window without the normal options:File, Edit, Setup, with the POS Link and PRLink, etc beneath it. The only thing that it has is File with drop down options of Open Launch File or Create Launch File. I would like to know what is the correct procedure for transferring a currently working GetLinked application to a different computer without having to rematch all definitions. If it makes any difference - the GetLinked that I am currently using seems to be an older version/the older logo than the one that I downloaded on the new drive.

Profile Quote
gettech
Post subject: Re: Moving the Get Linked Application to a new computer/drive
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 pm

stkeegan10,

The procedure that we recommend when moving GETLinked to a new computer is as follows:
  1. Make a complete backup of the GETLinked folder from the old computer. You can check in GETLinked under Setup > System > Pathnames to find the correct GETLinked folder. Zipping the whole "GETLinked" folder works well.
  2. Copy the GETLinked backup over to the new computer.
  3. Download and install a fresh copy of GETLinked on the new computer.
  4. Verify that the new copy of GETLinked will start to the point that you can see the POSLink, PRLink buttons, etc.
  5. Close the new copy of GETLinked.
Open the GETLinked backup and copy/paste the following folders into the new GETLinked installation folder:
  1. "Data"
  2. "Tables"
  3. "System"
Start GETLinked on the new computer again and answer "YES" if asked to update any database tables.

Finally uninstall GETLinked from the old computer.

If you start GETLinked and only get a File menu with options of "Open Launch File" or "Create Launch File" you need to update the shortcut you use to start GETLinked.
GETLinked uses a "launch file" named "GETLinked.set" to start the application. You can select the "Open Launch File" menu option and then browse to the GETLinked.set file (usually located at c:\GETLinked\GETLinked.set) to start the main application.

You can also specify the launch file in your GETLinked shortcut by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "Properties".

The "Target" field of the shortcut should be the path to the main GETLinked.exe followed by the name of the launch file GETLinked.SET.
For example:
C:\GETLinked\GETLinked.exe GETLinked.SET
The "Start in:" field of the shortcut should be the path to the GETLinked folder.
For example:
C:\GETLinked
Please review other Forum topics for more details:
What are GETLinked™ Software system requirements?
How does technical support and the reserved Forum site work with GetLinked software ?

If you have further questions about moving GETLinked to a new computer or need help updating your shortcut please reply to this post.

Thank you for the post.

GETLinked Software

Profile Quote
stkeegan10
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:55 pm

My version of GetLinked that is on the old computer doesn't have a Data folder. There is only the system, tables, and support folders there. Is there a way that I can update the Get Linked on the old computer while storing my definitions linked to accounts and then send the folders over to the new computer?

Profile Quote
gettech
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:40 am

Hi stkeegan10,

The "Data" folder is not required so if your old installation does not have one don't worry. The definitions and user preferences are all stored under the "Tables" and "System" folders.
Copy those two folders across to the new installation and you should be all set.

Thank you for the post.

GETLinked Software

Profile Quote
stkeegan10
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:08 pm

I believe that my issue is that my GetLinked on the old computer is running under an older Registration key.

My process so far:

1. Installed new GetLinked onto the new computer.
2. Cut the new System and Tables folders out of the new Get Linked folder - pasted them on my desktop.
3. Pasted the old System and Tables folders into the new GetLinked folder.
4. Reopen the new Get Linked.
5. Pop-up telling me that I need to update tables comes up - say yes. At the same time a pop-up occurs that says my registration key is incorrect or out of date. It makes me put in the 5 lines of doo doo numbers/letters of my current registration.
6. Set-up is not there, so I have to do this. I have done the set-up prior to the old table and system folder pasting and it deletes the set-up after entering the new registration keys.
7. I import and although it does import the data, there is no matching of definitions to accounts.

Do I need to have the new registration key put into the old system and if so how do I do this?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Keegan

Profile Quote
gettech
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Keegan,

The registration keys only control the ability of GETLinked to transfer data out to a financial system. Having old or missing registration keys will not delete your location setup information so your problem shouldn't be related to the registration keys.

The fact that you got the popup asking to update tables tells me that you most likely copied the "Tables" folder over correctly. If you copy just the "Tables" folder over again and start GETLinked you should get the same popup asking to update tables. Hit yes again and let it update.

Do you get any error messages during the update process?

If not can you go into Setup > POSLink and see any of your old location information or is it all blank?

Can you still start GETLinked on the old system and see all of the location setup information including the Definitions?

Thank you for the post.

GETLinked Software

Profile Quote
stkeegan10
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:13 am

At one point I know there was two pop ups with one asking about the tables, but I started all over again and I have received the pop-up that I took a picture of and is attached. After I hit ok it does give a very quick glimpse of at pop-up that is "thinking/loading" that says Updating Tables. This loads completely. Afterwards though, all set up has to be completed again as far as transfers, where to find the folder with the sales data dump from Micros, what I am transfering to, and the definitions still don't have any accounts matched to them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Quote
gettech
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi Keegan,

After reviewing your GETLinked installation we determined that your GETLinked tables had been moved to a network drive and you were inadvertently backing up the wrong GETLinked folder.
Once you found the correct GETLinked folder on the network drive and backed that up the move was successful.

Thank you for the post.

GETLinked Software

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “POSLink”
Jump to: